- Co-Chair of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and Founder and former CEO of Microsoft
- Con to the question "Should People Become Vegetarian?"
“In my late twenties I went vegetarian for a year. Some of my friends were strict non-meat-eaters, and I wanted to try it out… In the end, though, I couldn’t keep it going, and I eventually returned to my carnivorous ways.
Years later, I came to realize that it was a luxury for me to spurn meat. In most places, as people earn more money, they want to eat more meat. Brazil’s per-capita consumption has gone up fourfold since 1950. China’s nearly doubled in the 1990s. Mexico, Indonesia, South Korea, and Japan have also seen big increases.
More countries are sure to follow, and that’s a good thing. Meat is a great source of high-quality proteins that help children fully develop mentally and physically. In fact part of our foundation’s health strategy involves getting more meat, dairy, and eggs into the diets of children in Africa.”
“Is There Enough Meat for Everyone?,” gatesnotes.com, Apr. 21, 2015
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Board Member and Technology Advisor, Microsoft, 2014-present
- Co-Founder, The Giving Pledge, June 2010-present
- Non-Executive Chairman, Microsoft, June 2008-2014
- Founder, bgC3 LLC, 2008-present
- Board Member, Berkshire Hathaway, 2004-present
- Co-Chair, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Jan. 2000-present
- Founder and CEO, Cascade Investment, 1995-present
- Founder and Chairman, Corbis, 1989-present
- Chairman and Chief Software Architect, Microsoft, Jan. 2000-June 2008
- Co-Founder and CEO, Micro-Soft (now Microsoft), Nov. 1975-Jan. 2000
- Programmer, Honeywell, 1974-1975
- Attended Harvard University
- Twitter handle: @BillGates
- Received honorary doctorates from Nyenrode Business Universiteit, Royal Institute of Technology, Waseda University, Tsinghua University, Harvard University, Karolinska Institutet, and Cambridge University
- Named an honorary Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire by Queen Elizabeth II in 2005
- Named Person of the Year by Time magazine in 2005
- Named one of the 100 people who most influenced the 20th century by Time magazine in 2004
- Born on Oct. 28, 1955 in Seattle, WA
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Should People Become Vegetarian?